It has been awhile since I last cooked Chinese dishes and out of the blue, I craved for my mother’s version of mushroom chicken. This is surely a dish that one can only get it home cooked. I recall the times when my sister and I would pester our mother to cook this simple, but yet appetizing dish for us. The secret of this dish is the duration used to braise the meat. The longer you braised it, the juicier the meat will be. The timing has got to be perfect and this is gained through experience, after many attempts of trial and error.
And here was I, dying to have this comfort food but I had to learn and gauge the amount of ingredients to perfect this dish. Well, hubby loved the dish, but I knew that it was still no where near my mother’s standard (I guess, nothing beats a mother’s home cooked food, right)?
Braised Chicken with Mushroom Recipe
Serves: 2-3 pax / Prep Time: 10mins / Cooking Time: 1 hour / Level of Difficulty: Simple
- 1 piece of chicken thigh (chopped into smaller piece)
- 4 cloves garlic (finely sliced)
- 1 bowl of sliced white button mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. oyster sauce
- 0.5 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. Shaoxing rice wine
1. Marinate the chicken and set aside for 30 minutes. Mix the sauce ingredients and set aside.
3. Add in the mushrooms and stir frequently until golden brown.
5. Add in the sauce ingredients and stir well, ensuring the meat and mushroom is well-coated. Pour in the water and bring the liquid to a boil. Let it simmer over a low heat for about 30-45 minutes or until the sauce has thicken. Remember to stir occasionally and you can add in more water if you prefer to have more gravy.
6. Dish out and top it with fresh scallions. Serve immediately with hot steamed rice.
Tips: You can also substitute the meat with pork.
All photos and information on Daphne’s Escapades are copyright protected. Please do not use any of the images or content without any prior permission. Should you wish to share the recipe in your post, please rewrite the recipe in your own words and direct the post to its original source.