Those who have tasted Bénédictine D.O.M herbal liqueur will agree with me how distinctive the taste of the liqueur is. You will not forget the mild herbal notes on the nose, with the right amount of sweetness, along with hints of herbs and spices. You will also feel the warmth lingering through all your body’s systems. My hubby religiously ensures that I take D.O.M. before sleeping every other night because of its well known health benefits. In case you are curious, D.O.M stands for “Deo Optimo Maximo” which is Latin for “To God, most good, most great”.
Well, there are a couple of bottles in our house and on one particular evening, I suddenly had the crave to cook herbal chicken with D.O.M. liqueur. Did some googling and found a few recipes on herbal chicken soup using D.O.M liqueur. There were too many to choose from and I was running out of time, as hubby was already on his way home. Hence, I quickly improvised the method of cooking and instead of making it into a soup base, I steamed the chicken with the herbal liqueur. Voila, I could taste the aromatic herbs and a tinge of liqueur with each and every bite of the chicken and most importantly, he loved it.
Herbal Chicken with Bénédictine D.O.M Recipe
Serves: 2-3 pax / Prep Time: 15mins / Cooking Time: 45mins / Level of Difficulty: Simple
- 1 chicken thigh (cut into small pieces)
- 1 tbsp. wolfberries
- 2 tbsp. Bénédictine D.O.M herbal liqueur
- 5 red dates (cut into halves and deseed)
- 5 shiitake mushrooms (removed stems and slice finely)
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 inch ginger (finely chopped)
- Fresh scallions (finely chopped) – optional
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 dash of black pepper
1. Marinate the chicken for an hour or more and set it aside in the fridge.
2. Line some of the mushrooms at the bottom of the bowl and place the chicken on them.
3. Add in the wolfberries, red dates, the remaining mushrooms as well as the ginger.
4. Cover the bowl with an aluminium foil or a lid in order to avoid losing the aroma of the ingredients during steaming. Cook the chicken on high heat until the water in the steamer is boiling.
5. Turn the heat to low heat and allow the chicken to cook for another 45 minutes.
6. Garnish the dish with fresh scallion (optional) and serve immediately with rice.
All photos and information on Daphne’s Escapades are copyright protected. Please do not use any of the images or content without any prior permission. Should you wish to share the recipe in your post, please rewrite the recipe in your own words and direct the post to its original source.